Who MUST attend?
The First Line Manager programme is aimed at any member of XLVets who is in a leading position in which they feel they need the skills and knowledge to get more from their team. The programme is also aimed at anyone who wishes to understand their people better, and to manage their leadership energy.
What is different about this course?
This programme offers a unique blend of personal reflection, leadership theory, knowledge and frameworks for understanding and developing individuals and teams, practical leadership skills, and peer support. The content of the programme is adapted from day to day to suit the emerging needs and learning speeds and styles of the delegates.
What are the benefits to the business?
- More confident and skilled leaders who get more from their team
- A happier and more motivated team
- Less conflict within teams
- Greater alignment of your team with the values and mission of the business
- Greater integration between different areas of the business
- Day 1 – Building the team. Understanding self and others through teamwork and psychological models. The psychology of communication.
- Day 2 – Leadership Theory and practice. Understanding the functions and styles of leadership and workplace application of skills and knowledge.
- Day 3 – Reflection and feedback on how you have applied skills and knowledge in the workplace. Further leadership practice.
- Day4 – Coaching. Theory and practice of coaching skills that will be used to get the best out of individual members of the team.
- Day 5 – Delegate led day. The opportunity for the delegates to set the agenda for the day from a range of options: more coaching, theory recap, team problem solving, action planning, practical leadership practice.
Briefly the course comprises:
- Experiential learning – practical activities followed by reflection, feedback, the distillation of transferable skills.
- Pragmatic theory. Pieces of theory from leadership thinkers and psychological models that are brought to life with personal reflection, and related to the delegates’ own leadership scenarios.
- Feedback and support from co-delegates.
- Coaching practice with real-life leadership issues
- Application of learning back in the workplace
“I enjoyed the theory and practical sessions which I can now apply in my role as a manager.”
“Fun! A lot learnt, support from other delegates, friends made.”
“The split between the theory and practical was spot on and made it enjoyable.”